Githeri is a traditional Kenyan dish, full of flavor and nutrition. It’s a hearty, delicious dish that’s easy to make and incredibly satisfying. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned pro, you’ll love the taste of this African classic.
The key to making a great Githeri is to use the right ingredients and cooking methods. Here’s a simple Githeri recipe to help you get started.
Ingredients for githeri recipe:
- 2 cups of maize (corn)
- 1 cup of beans
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- Pinch of hot pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Instructions for githeri recipe:
- Heat the cooking oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté for two minutes until the onions begin to soften.
- Add the maize, beans and tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Add the thyme, cumin and hot pepper flakes, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the pot and allow the Githeri to cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the maize and beans are tender.
- Serve the Githeri with steamed vegetables and/or a salad for a delicious and nutritious meal.
Making Githeri is a great way to enjoy the flavors of Kenya and is a fantastic way to add more plant-based proteins to your diet. It’s also a great way to use up leftovers so you can stretch your food budget.
So that’s my guide on how to cook your githeri or in simple terms githeri recipe for most households to use when preparing it.