Sunflower oil production in Kenya: Stastistics

ByKenneth Nyabora

Mar 4, 2023

Last updated on March 6th, 2023 at 09:01 am

Sunflower oil production in Kenya is a growing industry.

With the country producing an increasing amount of sunflower oil in recent years. Below are some statistics related to sunflower oil manufacturing in Kenya.

Stastistics for Sunflower oil production in Kenya

Production Volume: Kenya produced 27,000 metric tons of sunflower oil in 2020, which was a 25% increase from the previous year.

Manufacturing Value: The total value of sunflower oil manufacturing in Kenya in 2020 was KES 3.4 billion.

Which was a 31% increase from the previous year.

Leading Producers: The leading producers of sunflower oil in Kenya are small-scale farmers, who account for around 70% of total manufacturing. The remaining 30% is produced by medium to large-scale commercial farmers.

Regions of manufacturing: The main regions of sunflower oil manufacturing in Kenya are Western, Eastern, and Rift Valley provinces.

Yield per Hectare: The average yield of sunflower per hectare in Kenya is approximately 1.5 metric tons.

But this can vary depending on the specific region and farming practices.

Domestic Consumption: Domestic consumption of sunflower oil in Kenya is estimated to be around 120,000 metric tons per year,

Which means that the majority of sunflower oil produced in Kenya is consumed domestically.

Export Markets: Kenya exports a small amount of sunflower oil to neighboring countries, including Tanzania and Uganda.

Government Support: The Kenyan government has been providing support to small-scale sunflower farmers through various initiatives, including providing access to credit, training on modern farming techniques, and improving market access.

Overall, sunflower oil manufacturing in Kenya is a growing industry that is providing income opportunities for small-scale farmers and contributing to the country’s economy. With continued government support and investment in the industry, it is likely that sunflower oil production in Kenya will continue to expand in the coming years.


List of sunflower buyers in Kenya

Sunflower Market Analysis in Kenya

Sunflower Farming in Kenya