In this blog post, I want to show you how to register your business in Kenya. Using eCitizen business registration services, an easy-to-follow step, you’ll find it much easier to register your business.
Way back, registering a business name in Kenya was like pulling a dead horse, you had to borrow time to go into huduma centers, fill out some forms just to get your business name registered.
But now things are quite easier, things are now done at home, sitting in your coach, typing on your phone or computer.
These days, all businesses and companies go through the same process and it’s not much of a big deal. As long as you have your citizen account things are just simple.
Types of Businesses You Can Register
Using eCitizen business registration services there are different kinds of businesses you might register.
Here’s a list of types of businesses you can register:
- Sole proprietorship
- LLP( limited liability Partnership)
- LLC( Limited Liability Company)
- Series LLC
- C Corporation
- S Corporation
- Nonprofit corporation
Also, read the most profitable businesses to start in Kenya
What is eCitizen
eCitizen is a digital system dedicated to providing government service in the country, of Kenya. It was discovered in 2015 by Kenyan Government.
Therefore, if you’re thinking of starting a business or registering it. Whether you’re a Kenyan citizen or a foreign.
You must create an account from the eCitizen portal to have automatic access to all government services. That’s including business registration services.
Registering your eCitizen account
To register, your eCitizen account here’s a list of steps to follow:
- Step 1: Head over to your preferred browser (Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome)
- Step 2: Key in, eCitizen.go.ke
- Step 4: Click or tap on “Create account”
- Step 5: Because you’re new click on “Kenyan citizen” or Create a foreign Account
- Step 6: Fill out the forms you’re given( ID NO, first name, email address, phone number, password)
- Step 7: Agree to terms and conditions
- Step 8: Verify your phone number by submitting the code sent
- Step 9: Verify your email by following a link sent to your Gmail inbox
Once that’s done, you will have to wait until they complete your account verification process. And then you will be notified when your account is ready.
So how do you search for a business name
Once you have your account ready, you can start thinking about your business name search and registration processes.
Also, note that all business registration is done under the Company Registry body. The body is in charge of registering all businesses and ensuring that they are issued the right certificates.
Company Registry requires that a name search be done and approved before the registration process of any local business.
However, before you conduct a name search it is important to note some things down, here’s the full script on what to note when searching for a name.
Here’s how to search for a business name
- Step 1: Head over to the eCitizen portal and submit your login details.
- Step 2: Click on “get service under Business Registration Service”
- Step 3: Click on ” Make Application”
A list of all Business Registration Services( BRS) will be displayed.
- Step 4: click on the ” name search and reservation”
- Step 5: Read through the details, the amount you need to pay is ksh. 150 ( ksh. 100 name search fee and ksh. 50 convenience fee) click the “apply now” button
- Step 6: Select “BUSINESS NAME” from the drop-down list
- Step 7: Enter a brief description of your business activity. Click ” Continue”
- Step 8: Select the checkbox confirming that you have provided all the information instructed by the registrar.
- Step 9: Click ” Finish”
- Step 10: Select your preferred payment option from the list provided
- Step 11: Click on ” Complete” your payment will be processed and confirmed
It only takes one business day to find out whether your business name has been approved or rejected.
Therefore it’s important to keep checking your eCitizen account frequently to know whether you have been approved or denied.
How to Register your Business in Kenya
Once your business name has been approved, you can proceed with the registration process.
Therefore, to register your business in Kenya there are certain requirements you need to have, here is the checklist of requirements:
- Three passport photos
- 2 copies of the application for name reservation(CR14) statement of particulars
- 2 copies of the name reservation letter
- 4 copies of the identity card
- KRA Pin certificate
- Assessed statement of Particulars
- Payment ticket
- 2 copies of the business permit application form
- Approved business permit application form
- Payment invoice for the application fee (Kes 800 for registration and Kes 50 as convenience fee)
- Payment invoice for a business permit
Once you have submitted all the details it will take one week and your certificate will be ready.
How much does it cost to register a small business in Kenya?
To finish registering your small business in Kenya, you’ll need to pay the mandatory fee of Ksh. 10,650 either through the eCitizen portal or through a credit card at the office of the Registrar.
Also, read: ways small businesses contribute to the economy
I hope just I answered your questions? I’ve covered everything you need to know about registering a business name in Kenya. Following a step by step instructions prepared by the eCitizen business registration service in Kenya. Stay tuned for the next post, on why business names can be rejected.