Omena is an African delicacy that is truly unique and delicious. It is made by cooking small dried fish, usually sardines, in a spicy tomato sauce.
This dish is popular throughout the continent and is a favorite among many African households. Whether you are looking to make a quick snack or a hearty meal, omena is a great choice.
If you’ve never tried omena before, this recipe is a great way to get started. It is quite simple to make and once you master the technique, you will be able to whip up delicious omena dishes in no time.
How to Cook Omena
Here is a basic omena recipe that you can follow to make a delicious dish:
- 1 lb of dried omena
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cups of water
- Start by rinsing the omena in cold water to remove any dirt or debris.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cumin, tomato paste, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the omena and stir to combine. Add the water, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the omena is tender.
- Serve hot with steamed vegetables, rice, or your choice of accompaniment.
This omena recipe is a great way to make a delicious and unique meal. It is easy to prepare and the flavors of the tomato sauce and spices are perfectly balanced. Try this omena recipe next time you want to make a unique and delicious meal.